We are so excited for you to be joining people from all over the globe for Shower Strike! You’ve registered for Shower Strike… Now what?? Fundraising can seem daunting at first, but we want you to know we always have your back. And remember, there’s always a reason you began this journey, so keep the mission alive! Hear from previous Strikers about what participating in Shower Strike has meant to them.
“Through Shower Strike, I’ve had an opportunity to interact with people I haven’t spoken to in years as well as people I’ve never met. One piece of advice I would give for new Shower Strikers is to send personalized requests and thank you’s.” – Mary Elizabeth Ellis
“I raised $1,110 in 3 days! It was amazing. I loved seeing how generous people can be. I used social media to educate my followers on the cause. Without even asking for their donation, my friends, families and even strangers felt compelled to participate in the fundraising. Tips for new Shower Strikers: show your passion for the cause and people will respond.”
“I love talking to people about it – whether at work, social media, with strangers – when they see I’m on a Shower Strike, they want to know why. And the conversations are some of the best and eye-opening for others. It’s a reminder of what most of us take for granted every single day. To new Shower Strikers: Know you are making a huge difference. Whatever the amount you fundraise, you raise even more awareness for Well Aware, and for water issues. You never know who you will inspire to join the team or donate in different ways.”
All you have to do to be successful is believe in the clean water cause, commit to follow through, get creative, and have fun. Now, here’s your guide to fundraising.
Steps to Kick off your Fundraising
STEP 1: PERSONALIZE YOUR PAGE. Add your own text, pictures, and videos. Remember your potential donors will be interested in the cause, but they are primarily interested in you. Make sure you tell them why you are getting involved, how you are participating, and what your connection to the cause is (it doesn’t have to be long). Click here for more tips on how to personalize your fundraising page.
STEP 2: PLAN YOUR ACTIVITIES. Are you Skipping Showers? Walking for Water? Or, simply fundraising? We have tips here to help you get active during the campaign and put yourself in the shoes of those you are helping.
STEP 3: GET THE BALL ROLLING. Other people are more likely to donate to your page when they see that someone has already contributed. That’s why it’s always a good idea to get your fundraising off to a good start by making the first contribution. This will make others more likely to get involved and donating some of your own money also demonstrates to potential supporters that you are serious about helping Well Aware’s clean water mission. Remember, you don’t have to wait to fundraise until Shower Strike officially kicks off on April 19th! The earlier you start, the more you’re likely to raise.
STEP 4: START WITH YOUR CLOSE CONTACTS. It’s always best to start by emailing or texting your close contacts because they are the most likely to donate and are the people you are most comfortable with. Try sending some quick personal messages to your inner circle to let them know what you’re doing and build up some momentum. We’ve put together an email template you can use right from your fundraising page and we have more templates for both email and text in the toolkit. The most important thing you can add to this message is why you are fundraising. Let your family and friends know why this matters to you, that’s what they care about most!
- Use the Onion Method. Think about your fundraising strategy like peeling an onion from the inside out. The best fundraisers start by asking their closest contacts first (the core) and progressively work outward to more distant contacts (the outer skin).
- Core: 5-10 very close contacts (family and your closest friend or 2)
- First layer: 10-15 close contacts (your entire circle of good friends)
- Second layer: As many other contacts you feel comfortable sending a message to (co-workers, friends of friends, distant relatives, your entire address book, etc.)
- Last layer: Social media and ask friends to share your posts to expand your reach. Click here to learn how to make the most of your campaign on Social Media
- PRO TIP: Keep your message clear, direct, and timely! Don’t be afraid to add some visual and personal elements to catch donors’ attention and inspire immediate action. And, don’t forget to be yourself. If something feels forced or inauthentic, scrap it.
STEP 5: NOW MOVE TO SOCIAL MEDIA. Once you’ve sent your first batch of personal messages out, it’s time to turn to social media. This will help you spread your message further and reach people in your broader network – leading to more donations and visibility. Plus, it’s fun to share the good you’re doing in the world! Not sure where to start? Don’t worry, we’ve got tips for you here.
STEP 6: REMIND, REMIND, REMIND. Don’t hesitate to send multiple follow-ups. Messages are easy to overlook and people often open them up quickly and then forget to go back to them. Following up can feel daunting if you don’t know how to word your ask in a different way. Here are some resources you could include in your follow up communications:
- Use Milestones as a follow-up tool. Keep people up to date with your progress as you hit different milestones (50% raised, 75% raised, etc.) and ask supporters to help you hit the next one.
- Consider including inspiring stories you have about the cause. Our Faces of Water stories and information about our Water Projects are great to include!
- Share related current blogs. We have blogs about all things water – from data on the water crisis to how we build our clean water systems, and much, much more. Send to your contacts so they can learn more about why this cause is so critical!
- You can also leverage where you are with your chosen participation method. Are you starting to stink? Ask them to help you get closer to a shower. Are you tired of Walking for Water? Share what it feels like. The more you mention what you are actively doing, the more unique your campaign will be!
STEP 7: THANK AND UPDATE YOUR NETWORK. As more of your network gets behind you, keep thanking them on social media, text, and email – and make sure you continue to share your progress towards your goal.
- Share Updates on the Shower Strike Platform. When you use the updates section in your dashboard, donors will receive a notification and it will also show up on your page! This is a great way to thank and share progress. Learn how to do this here.
- Share Updates on Social Media multiple times throughout your campaign. You can even tag your donors to give them a shoutout and encourage other people to donate, too.
- PRO TIP: While thanking your donors via digital methods is important, don’t underestimate the power of an old-fashioned handwritten card! It only takes a few minutes to do and can make an incredible impact on those you send it to.
STEP 8: CRUSH YOUR FUNDRAISING GOAL! Hooray! If you follow these steps, we know you’ll reach your goal!!! If you get discouraged or need help along the way, email us, and we’ll be there for you. Remember, it’s easier than it seems, and every $15 you raise will change the life of ONE PERSON forever. That’s a big impact you just made – congrats!
Fundraising often takes a little creativity and persistence, but it’s vitally important to our mission and you can do it. Know that your effort will make a big difference! THANK YOU! Need support? Email us!